Woman's Medical School at Northwestern University, 1870-1902 (3)
Third of a series of Galter Health Sciences Library posters featured as an adjunct to the U.S. National Library of Medicine's traveling exhibit, Changing the face of Medicine - Celebrating America's Women Physicians. [on display at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Lurie Medical Research Building, Chicago, IL from December 9, 2009-January 3, 2010]. The exhibit was organized by the National Library of Medicine and was sponsored by the Galter Health Sciences Library, the Institute for WomensHealth Research and the Northwestern Medical Women Faculty Organization. Sponsoring units presented posters during the exhibit demonstrating how women have changed the face of medicine at Northwestern. In addition, a panel of notable Northwestern women discussed their contributions to medicine and health care in the areasof research, education, and clinical care in Hughes Auditorium on December 7, 2009 at 3:00PM. The panel members were: Neena B. Schwartz, PhD, Teresa W. Woodruff, PhD, Erica Marsh, MD, MSCI, and Candace Tingen, BS, BA. A reception followed at 4:30PM.
The traveling exhibit describes the remarkable progress women have made in professional training, achieving diversity and providing leadership in health care. Changing the Face of Medicine: Celebrating America's Women Physicians begins with Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to earn an M.D. degree in America in 1849, and ends with women physicians today, who have achieved success in work once considered "unsuitable" for a woman.
presentation_location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
original_citation: Sims, R. Woman's Medical School at Northwestern, 1870-1902 (3). Poster presented as adjunct to the NLM traveling exhibit, Changing the face of Medicine - Celebrating America's Women Physicians, December 2009-January 2010, Chicago, IL.
||2.9 MB||Preview Download|
2009When the item was originally created.